Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Zetsuen no Tempest Review: Doesn't leave you wanting for more


The problem with this manga is in the title. I heard couple of recommendations about this and decided to check it out.



It all begins with a woman stranded on an island - unable to use magic. Zetsuen no Tempest is Yoshino Takigawa, who encounters a woman points a gun at him and starts asking him weird questions about a friend of his. Soon this friend pops out and beats the woman to the ground by some weird moves. It's soon revealed that this friend named Mahiro Fuwa, is actually using magic and this is essentially where the story starts moving.

There's giant fruits raising from the ocean, civilians turning to iron and a clan which plans to use those giant fruits: the first chapter mostly confuses the reader. Art looks fine, but it's nothing special. The style is not what I usually prefer: it just gets the job done and nothing more.

It is certainly possible that Zetsuen no Tempest is one of those mangas that need time to pick up the pace. I'm completely aware of that, but I can't shake the feeling that I really don't want to read the next chapter. The first ones didn't startle me enough, maybe it feels too generic.

Based on the first couple of chapters, I can't recommend this to people who find themselves unusually bored with something that don't startle at first. In my opinion it doesn't have anything that other mangas don't do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment