Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gankutsuou Review, Count of future


Japanese animation studio Gonzo is known of their spectacular computer graphics and in 2004 they decided to make something different. The result was an adaptation of Count of Monte Christo, Gankutsuou
I at first wasn't eager to watch this because I had a feeling that it wouldn't be very good. I'm thankful that feeling was wrong.


Just like the original books Gankutsuous most important theme is revenge. Count Shows to us as unstoppable who relentlessly tries to execute his plan against Paris's current great leaders. Gonzo has managed to make Count so great character that viewer doesn't question his motives.

They managed to make a very memorable characters and that shows as the watchers excitement for the series. Gankutsuou relies a lot on the plot and characters: thank god Gonzo does both of them very well.
What makes unique is its beautiful sceneries. They sure look good but I got the feeling that they tried to much and went overboard with it.

A big difference compared to the original book Is that it Is that it's very futuristic. People are traveling in the space and between planets and that is a very welcomed change since that way it's not just a rip off of the original piece of work. Even though I've heard that the story is almost identical.

I myself haven't read the original book so I really can't compare these two. Even though I read lots of manga I haven't been much of a normal book reader. But I pretty much liked Gankutsuou. It's has a sense of good feeling in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment