Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Akame ga Kiru Review: Excellent Read

 I remember reading Akame ga Kill for half of the first chapter and giving it up, it seemed too boring. Now couple months after I've heard more and more about it and decided to give it another try. Last time I actually stopped right before it got a bit interesting.



Akame ga Kiru is about Tatsumi, who is proficient fighter (but no too good) and comes from the country to the big city. He gets very lucky as a rich girl hits her eye on him and offers him upkeep in her mansion. Soon the mansion gets attacked by a group of assassins...

I don't want to reveal too much about the first chapter, you just have to read it, but don't get confused of the first half's boredness. It gets more entertaining. At first sight this manga has potential. It's also very brutal, which in my terms is a plus. Akame ga Kiru brings something definitely different to the table: not even this series main protagonists are safe - nothing exactly new about that, but I've got the feeling that there's absolutely no way in telling who in the end will die.

Art of Akame ga Kiru is pretty much excellent. The battles flow very well, there are some great sceneries and it doesn't pale in any aspect when compared to basically anything else than the ones that have the best art of them all. It gets the job done by relaying it's intentions to readers and the most important thing is that it's clear so it's easy and enjoyable to follow.

I like it how different characters are given clearly differenct characteristics - weirdly enough not too many series actually do this so that even though the characters are different they are not made so that they are on far sides of irritating-good scale. Also, it seems that in this manga the focus is spot on: it's not bouncing around from character to other so that reader new to the story would have to think that what the hell is going on. Even though the main character of the series isn't anything to gloss about, the side characters (or semi-main characters) and good villains manage to make up a lot of it. There are also some character relationships that I found interesting and entertaining, which it's a achievement in itself.

Story of the series is pretty good, but not excellent: I actually find it a bit weird how much I liked this manga even though the story doesn't really have much or any to praise about. Akame ga Kill revolves around the interesting characters, character interactions and the developments that are for one reason or another interesting to follow. I can't say that any of the twists stuck to my mind but there are couple of them: the nature of the manga is that you truly can't predict who is going to die so they sort of work instead of the plot twists that have several other mangas going.


After reading all the chapters that has been released so far, I can confirm that this is a great manga. It has been too long since I've last been interested in to almost every aspect of a story. The only problem, once again, is that this is being released once a month - there's too big of a chance that I may actually forget about the story. The greatest feeling comes when I'm getting my weekly regular dose of good manga - even mangas released biweekly feel too rare and rarely keep me so interested that I actually remember what happened couple of weeks / month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment