Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pandora Hearts Review: A Bit Too Confusing

Pandora Hearts starts with our main character, Oz Vessalius who gets attacked during his coming-of-age ceremony by a group of mysterious people wearing cloaks. They say that Oz's whole existence is a sin and he gets sent into an abyss, prison full of darkness. There he meets a "Chain" B-Rabbit Alice, who agrees to make a contract with Oz resulting in both of them getting back to real world.


Art: I have to say that the art is the worst part of the series. The whole point of art in mangas is to control the flow and show readers what's going on depending on how mangaka decides to do it. In Pandora Hearts case it reminds me a lot of D. Gray-man, which too had a lot of potential but in my opinion fell short because the art left a bit too much for imagination. So is the case in Pandora Hearts also, I believe that a bit too much is left on the imagination of the reader about what is going on and even that isn't always enough. The series feels way too confusing way too often, which in my case lowers the enjoyability immensely. I however have to praise the character design art to some extent, they look pretty good, but the backgrounds and un-smooth flow doesn't compliment the characters enough. That's the way that the mangaka decided to do it and the art of this series just doesn't suit me.

Characters: Are better than decent, I found most of the characters having great personalities and their designs work very well. I also believe that the depth that the characters have absolutely deserve some praise. Once again I found myself liking the main character who happened to be carefree and seemingly living in the moment and not stressing over every little thing.

Story: What makes Pandora Hearts so popular I belive is the story. The story is a lot more deep than you would be guessing at the first sight, there are loads good twists and overall it simply delivers. However even though the story can be considered very good, it can also easily be described as confusing and hard to follow. Even though there are a lot of things that get somewhat clarified to the reader it still leaves too much up to the interpretation of the reader which could be a good thing if it could have been done in such a manner that it could be speculated with the feeling of clarity, not confusion.

When I first started reading the first chapter of Pandora Hearts I couldn't follow what was happening. Everything felt so confusing, things happened very fast without explanation so I practically had to force myself to read through the couple of first chapters. After that the story did get some clarity and it was relatively easy to follow, but the style of the mangaka seems to be that kind which doesn't suit me in any way. Throughout the chapters I realized that the manga had very much potential and it truly delivered in terms of story value, but the art was a terrible bottleneck in terms of enjoyability. I've read a lot of hype of Pandora Hearts and some people even praise the art work, but I have to be honest and say that it didn't just suit me: if it suits you then you are really up for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment