Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Seiketsu No Haguruma Review: Pretty Good

The people of this mangas world has been divided in two: there are people with Red blood and people with Blue blood, otherwise they look the same. For some reason a war has born between them and the Blue blooded people are having a great edge because their Prince, this series' protagonist Kodo, happens to be a "mechanical" genius who is able to make Haguruma, powerful and huge machines to aid Blue blooded in the war.

Kodo himself doesn't even know that his creations are used to kill other people, he thinks that they are used for good things such as lifting heavy things etc. until one day he decides to go out for a spin and sees couple of people in a pinch...

Art of the series is definitely good, but as in most of the cases, there are lots of room for improvements. The author has used interestingly enough couple of colors in the making of this manga: blue and red, which is pretty good decision in my opinion to truly differentiate between the two sides of the story. The colors however are used very, very sparingly, which is a good thing. I'd give the art 4- (3.75) if I could, but I'm just going to round it up into a 4.

Characters of this manga are pretty good. I've realized that whenever in mangas I encounter characters which don't irritate me I consider them good and surprisingly enough such characters don't show up as often as one could think. When mangakas decide to make characters who truly stand out they too often mix that up with unpleasant qualities which don't usually please the readers. There are couple of characters that I like in the series and who stand out, so I think that this mangas characters end up to be a bit better than average. I like the Kodo's way of doing things and especially the way in which he and his skills are designed.

As for the story I'd say that it's definitely better than average, the flow is good but the idea wasn't honestly too original, but it was carried out in such a good manner that I ended up liking it. I couldn't help but to think about how the series draws out the madness of people killing each other for reason that hasn't really been revealed to the readers. Even though in this manga there are couple of mysteries that are a bit interesting, but unfortunately not too interesting, which I think of as a minor flaw of this manga so far. There has only been 11 chapters at the time I'm writing this and there are some good movements been in the last couple of chapters so it's entirely possible that the series so far has only been a some sort of a prologue.

I'd say that Seiketsu No Haguruma is a manga definitely worth a try. It has a lot of good qualities which aren't really bothered with it's minor flaws. In most cases it definitely does things well, but not extremely well to be considered as masterpiece or even excellent, but rather as pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment