Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

D.Gray-man Review: Too messy?

 D.Gray-man tells us a story of Allan Walker, who is 15 years old. He can change his left hand into a weapon, claw of some kind to destroy Akuma, villains of this series. The main antagonist of this series is introduced as Millennium Earl, who for one reason or another creates those previously mentioned Akuma and wants to cause as much destruction as possible. Allan Walker soon joins into a organization full of Exorcist, who destroy akuma to fight against Millennium Earl...



 D. Gray-man begins like any other shonen manga. It has main character with powers that have room to develop, main antagonist who looks a bit retarded and wants to cause destruction and horror. The art of the series is what I dislike very much. It requires a lot concentration from the reader to follow with the story since the art is hard to make sense of sometimes. I'd say that it's really a lot like Pandora Hearts' style and being such a similar style I can do nothing but to admit that it just doesn't suit my taste.

Not even the characters can save this series, since they aren't anything special: the protagonist and the side characters I've seen in dozen a different series and unfortunately they don't really offer anything new for me to enjoy. The villains however, not including the akuma, manage to be somewhat entertaining. Millennium Earl himself as the first introduced antagonist of the series is very imaginative, deceiving character who's really ruthless. There are also other antagonists who are this series' the second best part in my opinion.

Story is perhaps the best part of this series, though it is nothing to celebrate: it has some good shonen qualities in it, but they are not enough to overcome the bad. The story gets more depth throughout the series and that is definitely a good thing, I remember feeling somewhat interested at couple of points when reading D.Gray-man, but it still wasn't enough for me to like it. The story did have (and still has) a lot of potential, but I think that the general flow of the series didn't live up to it. I could say that if you have read Pandora Hearts and possibly liked it, then D. Gray-man is almost for sure for you.

I've got very mixed feelings about this one. I have to admit that the art is pretty stylish, but it feels too messy so I mostly disliked it. Even if I concentrate I'd still lose the flow that where we this manga is and where it is going. Following the story feels pretty hard due to the art style and that is a huge minus to this manga. Story has lots of potential but in my opinion story telling flow doesn't follow its possible potential


No comments:

Post a Comment