Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

Art quality to the max: Vinland Saga Review

Vinland Saga tells us a story of Thorfinn, son of Thors, who wants to go on an adventure. His father is a former hero of the vikings, but had abandoned his position to take care of his family. However, the vikings managed to find about his whereabouts and ordered him to fight for his country. Once he and other youngsters of the village have made their leave on the ship and are far away from the land it seems that young Thorfinn had snuck on board..


Vinland Saga is one of the rare mangas which have an unbelievable detailed art. It's such an enjoy to read something so detailed and well made that it immerses the reader inside the series. I myself am such a scenery junkie that whenever a series presents huge, beautiful and enjoyable sceneries they don't get past me unnoticed: this is where Vinland Saga exceeded my expectations, since when used right the beautiful places where the characters journey are a huge factor in my books.

Characters of Vinland saga are interesting enough. Main character is one of those that I've taken a liking over the years: whenever there's a main character that is essentially irritating then the series needs a lot more to go on. This however isn't the case with Vinland Saga, the characters portray very well the age of the Vikings and how they were at that time. It has a good main character and loads of amazing side characters which including Askeladd, one of my favorite twisted villain / good guy combinations.

The story was top notch for the first 50-60 chapters, but after mangaka Makoto Yukimura decided to begin "Farmland saga" quality of the story dropped tremendously. I understand that it's supposed to be historically accurate, but I know when I'm not intrigued enough. However it's still recommended to read everything that has come, since it's one of it's kind, a truly unique series in my opinion.  It does have it's bad side also: new chapter arrives monthly, which feels a bit too long gap, but it's understandable regarding the quality of the art.



No comments:

Post a Comment